Spring is on the horizon, and with it comes fantastic flowers, gorgeous shades of greens and awful allergies. Wait – that last item on the list doesn’t sound nice at all, especially when the little ones in our lives are suffering. So, what can you do if your little one is struggling and medication is not helping? Visit an ENT specialist at UnityPoint Health® – Grinnell Regional Medical Center!
Common conditions and procedures completed at GRMC include:
- Allergy testing and treatment
- Ear problems and ear tube insertion
- Tonsils and adenoids
- Sinuses/sinusitis and surgery
- Hoarse throats
- Swallowing problems
- Skin lesions
- Sleep apnea/obstructions
- Plastic surgery for ears, noses and eyes
Ear tube surgeries and tonsillectomies are two of the most common procedures done annually in the United States. According to the American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery, more than half a million ear tube surgeries are performed on children each year, making it the most common childhood surgery performed with anesthesia. The average age for ear tube insertion is one to three years old. Inserting ear tubes may:
- Reduce the risk of future ear infection
- Restore hearing loss caused by middle ear fluid
- Improve speech and balance problems
- Improve behavior and sleep problems caused by chronic ear infections
Seeing at ENT at GRMC does not require a physician’s order. All insurance carriers cover ENT services, except for a small subset of a Medicaid plan.
For more information, call Grinnell Regional Visiting Specialty Clinic at 641-236-2925.